Home Moving Checklist
This checklist will help prepare you for your move. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® location.
One month before the move:
- Reserve a moving company for your move. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® will be more than pleased to pack up your house for you.
- Visit your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® and purchase boxes as well as the necessary packing supplies you require to ensure a smooth and satisfactory move.
- Begin by cleaning out wardrobes, the garage, the attic and the basement.
- Host a car boot sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange for the transfer of school records.
- Pick up change of address cards from your local post office.
- Notify magazines, banks, insurance companies, clubs and all other organisations of your new address.
- Be sure to get owner's manuals for appliances in your new home. If not, you can find most on the Internet.
One to two weeks prior to the move:
- Make up a "survival box" of items you will need to ensure a final clean-up and if possible, include a snack for the last day.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all of the boxes clearly. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each box to ensure it gets to the right location in your new home.
- Schedule disconnects for gas, electric, water and the telephone. Don't cancel your phone service until after your move. Arrange for refunds to be mailed to the new address that are due and schedule connections for your new home.
- Cancel newspapers, satellite or cable TV, security, cleaning help, gardener and any other services you might receive at your previous location.
The week of the move:
- Post your change of address forms.
- Clean the oven.
The day before the move:
- Clean the fridge, then defrost, dry and leave the fridge door open.
- Ensure you have enough cash to tide you over.
- Say a final farewell to your neighbours!